Thursday, July 5, 2012

Life Lessons #2

As I contemplated the meaning of Independence Day yesterday, I thought of one of the great honors of my life.  My dad, Lester Gray, was a WW2 hero.  He sat in tail of a B-17 taking flak for 37 missions.  I don't mean the kind of flak a pastor takes if he preaches too long and the Baptists beat us to the buffet.  I mean rip you to shreds kind.  He saw a lot of tail gunners, not carried out of the plane, but flushed out of the plane by a giant waterhose upon their return.  One of them was his commanding officer who bumped Dad off a mission. I guess I am a little lucky to be here.

So, in 2004, our entire family, plus the famous Cole Allison, traveled to Washington DC with Lester for the dedication of the lifetime-awaited WW2 Memorial.  Dad actually fought a little with senator Bob Dole to get 20-some tickets when each person was only supposed to have 2.  Man, that dude could negotiate the price on a car and get things done - Ferris Buehler way before time.  At the ceremony, there were lots of wheelchairs and walkers, but thousands of WW2 vets made it in for what was a beautiful day and a magnificent celebration.  I don't think I have ever been such a proud American.

I have always been a proud American -- never flinching at saying that I would fight and die to fight tyranny in any form.  Isn't that really what the patriots did in the 1770's to bring about the signing of that great Declaration?  I even cry when some weed-head like Michael Phelps has the Star Spangled Banner playing over his gold medal ceremony.  I get excited when the US even scores a goal in World Cup soccer even though I have never seen a soccer match in person. I want kids to know the Pledge of Allegiance, and I don't want the flag touching the ground, let alone burned.  I love this nation!

That being said, I am a citizen of two Kingdoms.  America is a neat thing, but that citizenship will never take precedence over being in the Kingdom of Light.  Let me put that in perspective for you. I was asked the other day why we did not have an American flag on stage at The Bridge. Let me answer that this way -- I am very proud that the church we planted in on American soil.  This affords us great opportunity.  But, if we were to put up flags inside the church, they would be from every nation on earth because God does not see an American superior in any way and so in Kingdom work, we cannot either.  We must be just as vigilant about bringing all nations, races, and peoples to the throne of the most High God as we go about Kingdom of Light business.  The Gospel does not cry at medal ceremonies. It penetrates hearts and never sees the color of skin on its way in.

Last thought -- I hear people say that they feel so lucky as Americans to be free to worship.  I have news - the worship of the Lord Jesus Christ cannot be suppressed, even by tyrannical nations such as North Korea or China.  Lovers of God will express their love for God no matter if it is under a light bulb in secret in the state of Orissa in India where persecution is at an all-time high. Can't stop the worship of God, and after worshiping with them, I think they appreciate God more than the average American church-goer.  Much more than freedom to worship, what we Christians have been given by these great patriots of the past are the freedom AND the resources to go on mission and carry out the GREAT COMMISSION.  This is the great American blind-spot.  When General Washington gave orders to cross the Delaware into Trenton on that frosty winter day, they did not have many resources, but they had courage, perseverance, and belief in their cause. Christians should set down their I-Pads and contemplate the orders of the glorious Lord Jesus, "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20 ESV)
For the American, there has been a lot of blood spilled to make this possible, both Holy and honorable blood.

0 comments: