Monday, July 14, 2008

Weekend to Remember

There are just THOSE weekends. I witnessed a lot of people connect with God in a fresh way this weekend. Men at the Cross was really powerful and a lot of confirmation about the direction and vision of our church. Every talk emphasized the fact that true belief in Christ and our call to discipleship happen simultaneously and that every person in the Kingdom should simultaneously be a Paul (mentor) and a Timothy (mentee -- is that a word?). You know what I mean.

Here is how we talk about discipleship on our "What We Believe" document that you can find on our website at www.bridgelife360.com:
We believe …that there are not two experiences in our Christian life – a call to salvation and later a call to discipleship. Jesus said, “Throw down your nets and follow me” to the original disciples and he makes the same request today to every believer. The call to believe and to committed discipleship occur simultaneously; therefore, “The Bridge” promotes a high commitment to the five purposes of the church (connect, grow, serve, share, & worship) as revealed in our 3 C’s (Cell, Celebrate, and Contribute). The Bridge does not expect perfection, just a willingness to commit to a powerful Spirit-driven life.

We saw a lot of men (some from The Bridge) acknowledge this call to discipleship and mentoring (two of the top focal points of The Bridge).

Then, I don't know what happened yesterday in our Celebration service at The Bridge. The word fell among some fertile soil, I believe. I saw people become transformed right before my eyes. It was powerful. God is demanding, but He is worth the cost. Write and tell me some of your journal entries from the sermon and the worship of our Lord through song. It was a blast! BEAUTIFUL JESUS!!!!

2 comments:

Kim said...

I can tell you that my husband who is a rookie Christian was touched in a big way on Sunday.
He was completely drawn into the word of God.
He now knows that God expects a lot out of him and he is ready to start running that race.
He was so excited about what he learned that he went to work and started talking to one of his employees about all of it.
Now the interesting thing about this is that the person he was talking to is very far from God and living a life full of Sin.
My husband wasn't nervous about bringing this subject up at all.
This is the first time in my husbands 46 years that he has ever talked to someone like that about God and inviting them to church.
WOW!!
What a magnificant God we serve.

Bill said...

I have gotten into 40 Days of Purpose and some other things we have done at The Bridge, but I have jumped head long into this Luke study. I didn't always read everyday as I should have, but God called me to something this weekend in a very loud and undeniable way. I have been up every morning this week at 5:30 so I can dive into the word before I start off my work day. God called to me and basically said,

"Bill, you have been doing okay, but you have only been giving me the leftovers of your life. I want the first of your harvest that I have given you. That means the first minutes of your day, the first of your profits from work, the first portion of your time you dedicate to relationships. I want to be your first, not your 'when i get time'."

Tough words to hear from your dad. But like many things dad has told me, they sometimes hurt at first, but they are worth the sacrifice. AWESOME! I believe I have grown more in the last week than I have in the last couple of years. I have ears, and I have heard. Praise be to God!