Thursday, November 26, 2009

Good News / Bad News

Not long ago I blogged that a doctor had diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. That doctor was wrong. That is the good news. For that I am thankful for on this Thanksgiving night.
The bad news is that I do know that I have a correct diagnosis of a debilitating disease called Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS). I have a very tough road in front of me. For that I am thankful for on this Thanksgiving night. Humility should not be a problem in this fight. I will let you google it if you like to check out my future. Here is the Mayo Clinic's description -- Press here Wikipedia -- Press here

I guess good health has been an idol for me because I have not done well with this diagnosis this week. In my mind, I have always thought I could handle a decline in health with a good attitude understanding that we are to suffer with Christ in this life -- that what I deserve is a cross and every breath spent with Christ is a blessing. My heart must have been a little idolatrous with this because I am struggling. I was an athlete and have always been able to pull off about anything I wanted physically. Limited ability to do a bunch of things over the last 4 years that really frustrated me now makes all kinds of sense. I thought I was just nearing 50 and my body was slowing down. Turns out, it was much more.

Honestly, I am feeling a little defeated and don't feel up to the fight today. But, Christ and my body of Christ family will not let me stay there. I know that God has a plan and something in mind with this, so let's get started.

0 comments: