Wednesday, May 7, 2008

How Great Thou Art!

I think we have started a new tradition at The Bridge of singing people into heaven. Yesterday, Mineral Area hospital got a dose of what St. John's got last year when Jeff Steven's went home and we sang him in with "Amazing Grace / My Chains are Gone"; well, Dad got his favorite "How Great Thou Art" as he went to be with Jesus. It brought back memories of him recovering from heart surgery during a PK event and we held the phone up so he could hear 14,000 men sing it with true worship and fervor. Dad cried in his hospital bed then, but he did not cry as the worshiping hosts of heaven joined in with the worshipers on earth for this edition. He has no more pain in his legs, back, or chest -- no more tears or sorrow. He is walking around with his mother, Bessie, and catching her up on the new grandchildren like Keegan and Kyle. Hopefully, he will remember their names -- HA! If not, I am sure Jesus will fill him in. Do you think that the angels are allowed to let him know that the Cards beat Colorado last night in his honor? Hug your kids today. Tell everyone that you love that you love them. Dad was praising God for Halle Durbin's arrival and joking about Albert Pujol's mad dash home one minute yesterday and singing with the heavenly hosts the next. He died in my arms and I will miss him. This physical life is fragile. But we have hope because of How Great Thou Truly Art.

4 comments:

Sarah P said...

Lester will be greatly missed. He is the one who invited me to The Bridge. I will miss his phone calls, his smile, and his hugs.

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
Psalm 23:1-6


God is Great

Vicki Forsythe said...

Tim, I am so sorry to hear about Lester and he will be greatly missed. What a great man. I loved it when he would sing out at church with all his heart and Virginia would elbow him to keep him straigh
I recall the time a tear fell from my eyes at Sunday service and as I was standing and Lester was sitting in front of me it dropped on the top of his head and he jumped as though he had been shot. How funny, and then he wanted to know if that might grow hair on the top of his head. He was truly an inspiration to us all as he fought for his life the last few years. No doubt he is with his Lord and smiling that smile. God loves you and so do I. Vicki

Unknown said...

Tim, Rich and I were heart sick to hear of your great loss. We love your mom and dad.

I remember at Memorial when I'd look over and your mom and dad wouldn't be there and then I'd hear he was in the hospital. The following week there he would be. If it was at all possible he would be at church. Usually he wouldn't stand with the rest of us but his presence was tall. I would make a b-line over for my weekly hug. I remember thinking for someone who has been so sick he gives the strongest hugs and with such great enthusiasm. Lester wittnessed to me the true meaning of joy in serving our Lord. He will be missed here but I rejoice because finally he is standing tall, dancing, singing, and praising God (face to face.) Please send your mom my love. You all will remain in our thoughts and prayers ... Darla

Kim said...

All I can say is I never new how much I loved that onery man.
I remember when I first started going to Memorial and when I walked by him he would grab a hold of my hand and pull me close to him so he could hug and kiss me on the cheek. It made me nervous at first and then I would look forward to it every Sunday.
Of course now I have many more good memories of him but if I wrote them all down I think this blog would crash.
I sure didn't understand how very much I loved him until I was at the hospital on Tuesday and realized he wasn't going to be around anymore.
I know we are supposed to be happy about him being gone from us because now he with God.
But I have to confess I'm a selfess women and everytime I think about him I cry like a big baby.
I will always love you Lester.
Kim Massey