Saturday, May 10, 2008

My Two Dads

Some of you wanted to see my tribute to Dad in writing, so here you go.
My Two Dads

Since my conception (not my birth), I have had two Dads.
– One of them is physical and was named Junior Lester Gray;
– the other one is spiritual and goes by many names:
– Yahweh, Jesus, Jehovah, the great “I am”, Lord, (Grandma Bessie would call Him) the Holy Ghost – the list goes on.
– As of this week, the physical one has become spirit through what we call death.
– Because that Dad had a personal relationship with the Spirit one, they are talking right now --
– And they are forming a plan for both of them to come back in their physical bodies at the Final Resurrection.
– Because Lester, my magnificent Dad knew Yahweh (the magnificent Dad) well, he now has no pain in his heart, no arthritis in his hip, no pain or tears or sorrow – actually he has not really died, just experienced a tranformation.
– He lives on to build another Chevy another day.
– Today I do not ride in a Limo as a mourner; I drive a 57 Chevy in tribute to one of the finest men to ever live.

The spiritual Dad said in the Psalms that he wove me together in depths of the earth before the beginning of time and that he knit me together in Mom’s womb and I praise him for that;
I am proud to have the blood of the physical one flowing thru my veins.
My “Creator of the Universe” Dad said that it is appropriate to thank him and sing praises to His name today on this occasion;
my “creator of a household” Dad is happy with his “well done good and faithful servant” praise that has been bestowed on him in the last few days.

Yeah, My Two Dads --
One of them commanded “Do Not Lie” – the other one hit me in the neck with a belt if I did.
One of them said, “Love your neighbor as yourself” – the other one modeled that for me everyday.
The heavenly Father told me if I trust in His son and follow his law, things will go well with my soul.
My earthly Father told me if I do right and follow His law, things will go well with my behind.
With one of them, “if I was 10 minutes early, I was late; with the other, I had to move quickly toward Him so that I was not late -- Bad deal to miss the wedding feast.
One told us to remember His broken body and shed blood when we ate bread and drank wine; the other one sweat a lot from his brow to be able to afford the bread and wine.

I think when they both walked the earth, they looked a lot like Clark Gable – for you youngsters that’s Gone With The Wind – you might want to watch it sometime.
One died and came out the grave alive so I could live, the other one was smart enough to sit on his flack jacket in WWII and keep some shrapnel out of his important parts, so I could live.
Because of his heroism there are monuments to the physical one in Washington DC and in this room;
there is a monument to the spirit of both of them in my son, Justin – who was fortunate enough to know both the Dads well.
To one I cry out “ABBA, Father” -- the creator of my soul; today I just cry because I will miss the other.

The one on earth made sacrifices his whole life so that I could have a better one.
The “famous one” made the ultimate sacrifice so that I could live forever.

Dad! As bad as I hate to see you go – I will miss you.
I know our other Dad – the Dad – is in complete charge. He is taking care of you just as you did such a fabulous job of taking care of all of us.
Heavenly Father, I thank you for loving my Dad so much that you sent your son to die on His behalf and mine.
Dad, you were awesome and it will be awesome to see you again on the other side –
Thank you and Farewell!

0 comments: